Author Topic: bought/Clairaut  (Read 10099 times)

mtgordon

bought/Clairaut
« on: October 29, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »
These don't rhyme in my accent, but though/Clairaut works for me.

Angela

• Rhyme Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: bought/Clairaut
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »
Indeed, this is one that the macOS speech synthesis pronounces incorrectly (at least, incorrectly according to French pronunciation) with an American English voice, which is where I get pronunciations from. Does anyone out there pronounce it to rhyme with 'bought'? I'll need to know whether to change the existing pronunciation or add the version that rhymes with 'though' as a homograph. Or maybe there should be an 'Pronouncing French words like a French person' accent parameter.  :D

mtgordon

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 07:45:04 PM »
There are so many ways to mispronounce French, though. You might be amused to travel through parts of the upper Mississippi watershed, the land of my birth, where many places were named by French missionaries, written down in books and on maps, and then thoroughly ignored by Europeans until Anglophone settlers arrived a century later and made valiant but typically incorrect guesses as to how those French names ought to be pronounced.

Angela

• Rhyme Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »
Indeed, I've heard there are several towns called Beaulieu with quite different pronunciations.